Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Origins of Ray Lewis Squirrel Dance

Congrats to the Baltimore Ravens for winning the Super Bowl. It was a fantastic game. I am a fan of Ray Lewis and loves how he makes his entrance into the game. Yesterday I watched Ray Lewis dance for the last time at M&T Stadium. I couldn't help but wonder, why is his dance called 'The Squirrel Dance' and where did it come from.


In an interview Ray Lewis states “This guy in my hometown named Kirby Lee, he used to always do this dance, and the dance was called ‘The Squirrel,’” Lewis said “I told him, ‘I’m going to do that dance some day.’ He was like, ‘You’re not going to do it.’ I said, ‘I’m going to do it.’ Then one day, they introduced the defense, and I came out, and I just did it. When I did it, of course the crowd went crazy.” The rest is history.


No comments: